Things To Do In Myrtle Beach In December
Myrtle Beach overflows with holiday cheer each December. Visitors and locals alike enjoy live performances, brilliant light shows, festive parades and so much more! Find just the right seasonal celebration taking place this December:
Myrtle Beach Winter Activities
Myrtle Beach is filled with some of the best year-round attractions. Plus every season has its own list of family-friendly events. Whether you are looking for a night out on the town with an extravagant dinner and show or a Saturday afternoon festival featuring local fare and vendors, Myrtle Beach can fill your itinerary. Once you’ve booked your newly renovated suite at Dayton House Resort, pursue our list of the 10 best winter activities and events the Grand Strand has to offer.
1. Live Performances and Special Celebrity Concerts
The Myrtle Beach area is filled with talented performers, musicians and artists. You’ll be blown away at the musical concerts, acrobatic presentations and vocal performances you will experience. Plus several theatres boast a scrumptious multi-course meal with every show! Here are a few of our favorite shows to visit this winter in Myrtle Beach:
- The Carolina Opry – Choose from two full-time house shows (The Carolina Opry variety show and Time Warp) or special guest events.
- Alabama Theatre – Hosts an award-winning variety show plus guest artist concerts.
- House of Blues – Enjoy a live performance by one of today’s top artists.
- Pirates Voyage – The whole family will love the life-sized pirate ship, live animals, delicious meal and adventure-filled show presented by Dolly Parton’s Pirates Voyage.
- Long Bay Symphony – Bask in the sounds of classic and contemporary masterpieces performed by world-class musicians. Annual concerts and special events are hosted each season.
- Medieval Times – Step back in time and experience the ultimate competition of honor and showmanship while noshing on a royal feast fit for the Queen.
2. Restaurant Week South Carolina
The area’s top restaurants participate each year in the annual Restaurant Week of South Carolina. Savor the culinary creations of more than ten of the Grand Strand’s best restaurants and chefs this January from the 13th through the 23rd. (Prices vary by restaurant.)
In case you missed the official restaurant week of South Carolina, the Murrells Inlet MarshWalk is hosting two food-focused events this February.
- The 2nd Annual MarshWalk Restaurant Week will be from February 21st through the 25th featuring special 3-course menus at each of the eight restaurants along the MarshWalk.
- The Annual Taste Of The MarshWalk returns for its 8th year on February 26th-27th. The beloved event will feature flavor-packed samples from each restaurant along the MarshWalk, hundreds of local vendors showcasing their best arts, crafts, sweet treats, clothing and jewelry, kids’ activities including a petting zoo and bounce houses and live music up and down the Inlet.
3. Brookgreen Gardens
Many visitors come to Myrtle Beach each holiday season to enjoy Brookgreen Gardens’ Nights of a Thousand Candles. Even after this brilliant holiday event has ended, the gardens boast seasonal exhibits and tours for its guests to participate in. Events include instructional workshops and classes, special art exhibits, education tours and so much more. Check the event calendar for this week’s special events, plus the botanical sculptor gardens are open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for enjoyment.
4. Ripley’s Aquarium
Ripley’s Aquarium is by far one of the best underwater adventures in the state! Kids and adults will be delighted by the educational experience mixed with the fun and fantasy of Ripley’s underwater world. Beyond the everyday exhibits of the aquarium, Ripley’s hosts seasonal events like Beaks & Brushes (instructional painting party with the penguins), Breakfast with a Mermaid (breakfast, crafts and storytime with a resident mermaid of Ripley’s) and Pancakes & Penguins (special pancake breakfast held in the Penguin Playhouse). Check out the events taking place during your Myrtle Beach vacation this winter.
5. Oyster Roasts Along the Grand Strand
With marshlands situated on the north and south of the Grand Strand, it’s no wonder the area hosts so many roasts during the oyster-shucking season. You can find a full calendar of Grand Strand events on our website, but here are a couple of our favorite oysters taking place this winter:
- 13th Annual Shuckin’ on the Strand Oyster Roast – February 19, 2022 – Noon to 4:00 p.m. – Hot Fish Club Gazebo, Murrells Inlet
- Mr. Fish Oyster Roast – February 26, 2022 – Noon to 6:00 p.m. – Mr. Fish Restaurant parking lot, Myrtle Beach
The Grand Strand offers a plethora of shopping opportunities. Ladies will love the boutiques and specialty shops. Men will love the sporting goods and general stores. Everyone will love the deals and discounts at the outlets. You’ll discover loads of great stores in strip malls and small complexes around town, but the biggest shopping centers are listed below:
- Coastal Grand Mall – 3.8 miles from our resort, an indoor shopping mall with a movie theatre & food court
- Myrtle Beach Mall – 9 miles from our resort, an indoor shopping mall with a movie theatre & nearby restaurants
- Inlet Square Mall – 13.1 miles from our resort, an indoor shopping center with small shops & local vendors
- Tanger Outlets on Hwy 501 – 7.4 miles from our resort, an outdoor shopping center with on-site & nearby restaurants
- Tanger Outlets on Hwy 17 – 8.2 miles from our resort, an outdoor shopping center with on-site & nearby restaurants
- Broadway at the Beach – 1.6 miles from our resort, an outdoor shopping center with attractions & restaurants
- Barefoot Landing – 10.4 miles from our resort, an outdoor shopping center with attractions & restaurants
7. LuLu’s Mardi Gras Golf Cart Parade
If you are bummed you won’t be at the beach for Mardi Gras, LuLu’s Annual Golf Cart Parade is just for you. Held the Saturday before Fat Tuesday at LuLu’s restaurant in Barefoot Landing, the event features a golf cart parade, drink and food specials, a costume contest and live music. Prizes will be awarded for the best costumes and the best-decorated golf carts. Join the fun on February 26th from 1:00-3:00 p.m. but enjoy live music and entertainment throughout the evening.
8. Best Indoor Attractions
Two of the best indoor attractions are located just two miles from the Dayton House Resort. If the weather is dreary or it’s just too cold to be outside, consider an afternoon spent at one of these family-friendly activities. Both are open year-round and feature multiple adventures under one roof.
9. Myrtle Beach SkyWheel
Revel in a birdseye view of the Atlantic Ocean and the Myrtle Beach Boulevard during a ride on the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel. Each of the 42 climate-controlled gondolas offers four glass walls so riders can have a 360° view. The Myrtle Beach SkyWheel reaches nearly 200 feet in the air and offers sunrise flights, VIP experiences, photo keepsakes and more. Easily book your ride on the SkyWheel online today!
10. Downtown Conway Events
Fifteen miles inland from the Dayton House Resort, visitors will find the charming riverfront city of Conway. This historical town is filled with country charm and southern hospitality. While the pace may be a bit slower and the southern accents a little thicker, Conway knows how to put on a party! Be sure to check out these fun events taking place in Downtown Conway this winter: