When you visit Myrtle Beach, there are so many fun things to do and see and almost imporssible to try and do them all. But no vacation to the Grand Strand is complete without a stop by a local souvenir shop to take a piece of the beach home with you. We're not talking about the sand in your shoes or the seashell you found on the beach, but something special to help you remember your visit. It's also a good idea to pick up a few items for friends and family who couldn't make the trip.
As a guest at The Dayton House Resort, you won't have to travel far to find some of the best beachwear stores and souvenir shops in town. Head downtown to the 1.2-mile Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, which is a short distance from our resort property that will lead you to some of the top retail shops on The Strip.
Here are our choices for the top five gift shops along the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk:
* I LOVE SUGAR: If your vacation has you craving something sweet, you might want to visit this sugar shack at the start of their vacation. Featuring 6,000 square feet filled with every kind of candy imaginable, I LOVE SUGAR allows patrons to stuff their bags with treats, like gummy bears, jelly beans and jawbreakers, and pay by the pound at checkout. Be sure to snap a few selfies in front of the 65-foot mermaid mural made out of gummy sharks. The building’s colorful neon exterior makes it hard to miss.
* Gay Dolphin Gift Cove: This massive, 30,000-square-foot facility is a Myrtle Beach institution and an icon of the Boardwalk. Open since 1946, the Gay Dolphin has been sending tourists home with knick-knacks and keepsakes for generations, with items ranging from everything like sharks’ teeth and postcards to artwork and jewelry. It's virtually impossible to browse through the three-story shop without stumbling upon something you want, and even if you come up empty-handed, you can climb to the top of the crow's nest for a spectacular view of downtown Myrtle Beach and the Atlantic Ocean.
* Beach Creations: Take home a personalized item as a Myrtle Beach memento at this creative shop, which offers vinyl graphics and airbrush work featuring all the latest designs. In addition to the beach-themed images, Beach Creations allows shoppers to choose from a wide variety of gear — T-shirts, hats, hoodies, backpacks, car tags and more — so shoppers can design their own one-of-a-kind item.
* LandShark SurfShack: Jimmy Buffett made a living out of singing songs about the beach, and now he has his very own retail shop only feet from the beach in the heart of the Boardwalk. Located at the base of the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel, the LandShark SurfShack offers a wide selection of souvenirs ranging from SkyWheel memorabilia to gear themed around Buffett's own brand of brew, LandShark Lager. Enjoy a few cold ones and watch the SkyWheel light up the skyline at the adjoining bar and grill.
* Tsunami Surf Shop: There are lots of beachwear stores and surf shops in Myrtle Beach, but Tsunami is the real deal. This regional chain claims to be the largest in the Carolinas, and it's hard to argue with the assertion. The wide selection at Tsunami features all the major brands and some high-end fashions to go with the abundance of T-shirts, swimwear, sunglasses and surfboards.
Make sure you head south of Dayton House Resort to the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk where you can check out these five shops and more to find that perfect souvenir from your Myrtle Beach vacation.